Hand-saw handles in Desmopan ® 5377A / DP 9370A
American Tool Companies A/S (DK)
IRWIN A/S (DK)
The handles for the hand saws of the company American Tool Companies A/S were developed on the basis of Two-Component-Injection Moulding process. The handles are produced at Irwin A/S.
In the development and production of this application two materials have proven successful:
1) Desmopan 5377A - Excellent bonding to ABS
Desmopan 5377A offers good bonding behaviour to ABS. After the ABS-component has been injection moulded, the flexible TPU component in Desmopan® 5377A is injected onto the ABS while it is still hot.
2) Desmopan DP 9370A - Excellent bonding to HIPS
Desmopan DP9370A is the material of choice to achieve bonding to HIPS.
The contact surfaces of the two components need to fuse together properly to ensure a good bond. Where the rigid/flexible combination is subject to a very high level of stress, an additional keyed anchoring should be provided for the flexible component.
Covestro offers individual support based on the specific requirements of any specific handle.
Desmopan® 5377A and DP 9370A offer the following product features:
- good haptics and a secure grip over a broad range of temperatures, therefore no risk of injury
- good cavity reproduction
- good abrasion resistance (virtually no wear or hardening through ageing of the mat-textured surface over a prolonged service life)
- good chemical resistance.
Product: Desmopan 5377A Desmopan DP 9370A